Having recognized the ill effects of obesity, there are a set of alternatives such as exercise, yoga, meditation and a proper diet. Choosing a balance of any of these or all will help us fight your obesity and get you back in shape, this new year.
Exercising daily is a great new year resolution. It helps turn body fat into lean muscle which results in more calories burned and a higher Basal metabolic rate (BMR). It also helps release the feel good hormones Endorphins which keep you happy and contented. So you are less likely to find satisfaction in binge eating and unhealthy lifestyle habits. It also helps reduce the risk of deadly diseases like heart disease, brings mental health, better sleep, etc.
Keeping in mind that exercise to manage weight should be a mix of strength, cardio and bodyweight training, here we have come up with a quick workout program for you. It is best to start slow with a mild intensity workout that could be done three days in a week initially.
The beauty of strength training is such that it helps burn fat and build muscle which helps increase metabolism thus reducing fat faster. We recommend the following exercises for strength training:
- Mountain Climbers
If you want to manage your obesity, some form of cardio training is a must. In fact, initial 3 months of your workouts should be dedicated to a regimen which has a blend of both cardio as well as strength training exercises. Certain cardio exercises we would like to recommend are:
- Jumping Jacks
- Brisk Walk
It is a very effective form of training for weight loss as it can easily be modified to a person’s need and can be done anywhere. These exercises essentially use major muscle groups in a single set of exercises, therefore making you burn more calories and improving metabolism by giving you a sustained weight loss. 9zest recommended bodyweight exercises are:
- Mountain Climbers
- Deep Squats
While keeping up with a regular exercise regime and making wise diet choices is a must, incorporating following changes can help you make the most of your weight loss program. The idea is keeping you active throughout the day.
- Instead of taking elevators climb stairs whenever possible. You may choose to climb stairs partially and then take elevators.
- Intentionally park your car at the far end of the parking lot so you can walk to the destination.
- When using public transportation, if possible get down a stop earlier to go to the destination.
- If feasible ride a bike to work or for running errands.
- Try to keep yourself active with common household work like lawn mowing, car wash, etc.
- Plan fun outdoor activities like hiking and playing tennis with friends and family.
- Try to work on a desk which can be turned into a standing desk. Keep switching between sitting and standing at work.
This Blog is contributed by Dr. Deepak Kr. Nain. He is a certified therapist who specializes in the field of rehabilitation. Deepak possesses a clinical expertise in prescribing the best solutions to help people with neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS).